Friday, September 12, 2008

The Near Attack of the 100 lb. Raccoon

So I'm taking this working out and weight loss thing pretty seriously... last night I decided to go six miles at about 7 p.m. and it was dusk, so I knew it would be pretty dark during parts of my walk. Got passed by two runners (boo hiss) and then encountered a very smelly dead animal (not sure of it's identity) on the sidewalk... yuck. On the march back there is a part of the sidewalk that is very dense with trees and bushes. I was making a pretty good pace and getting my "second wind" when I heard something move in front of me. Oh, it's just a cat I thought to myself and proceeded to walk toward it. The "cat" then growled like a freakin' sabertooth tiger and lunged toward me -- this thing was huge! I ran (f-a-s-t) to the other side of the street and realized that the "cat" was a ginormous raccoon, probably rabid, probably hungry for a sweaty, unshaven bite of leg. Nice.

Anyway, I survived. 1 hr 34 minutes. 14:35 average miles and burned 692 calories. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

gimmegodiva said...

Glad you survived!!! At least it didn't chase you!!!

Christa said...

Next time, look at its tail. If it isn't bushy and full, but more missing hair and gnawed on looking - it is the first sign of rabies. Maybe you should carry some pepper spray!

Jason: said...

Next time let it take a bite. What does not kill you will make you stronger. you big wimp!!!

Apryl said...

I wonder if it knew the possum we ran into trick or treating in Palm Aire in about 20th grade????

nah, probably not!

hahahahahaha