Thursday, May 22, 2008

California - Part Deux







OK, yesterday's blog covered the first part of our trip, which was in Sacramento, but the second part of our trip -- San Francisco, has yet to be addressed, so here it goes.

We drove from Sacramento into San Fran on Saturday evening... it took us almost two 1/2 hours to go 75 miles into the city. Along the way, we discovered that Californians allow motorcyclists to drive on the dotted line in between lanes ALL THE TIME. As this is not legal in Florida, it kind of pissed us off. So, so some jerk in a Toyota SUV tried to pick a fight with us because Kevin was staying on the right side of our lane. Welcome to frickin' San Francisco. We finally made it to the hotel, had a nice dinner downstairs and called it a night.

The better portion of Sunday was spent shopping for clothes for Cindi! :) (Just kidding, Cindi!) We practically got lost in a Macy's so big (8 stories) that we were blown away that it still wasn't big enough to have ANY men's clothing. C-R-A-Z-Y. We took a cable car down to the shopping area and then meandered to Chinatown. We did the Alcatraz tour at 6 p.m., which was very cool (and chilly) and after getting back we decided to have some din-din. This is where things take a turn for the worse (for me, anyways). We ended up at some super-duper crab-tactular famous secret-recipe place on Pier 39 (I have no idea what the name of it was, but I do vaguely remember the waitress in her Slavic accent telling us 32 times about this frickin' secret garlic recipe and how the crab is perfectly roasted... it's amazing blah, blah, blah, blah). SOOOOOOOOOOO, like all of the other touristas visiting San Francisco we order the $100 "Crab Feast" for four. Now, I need to interject at this point that I have had only one Grey Goose & cranberry at the bar before we were seated, which I promptly sucked down b/c I was thirsty. I tasted Cindi's cosmo and decided to make a switch since there shoudn't be any harm in that, same liquor and all, right? Well, needless to say, three Cosmos coupled with the puny, miniscule portion of crab that I was able to wrangle out of the shell, made for a very intoxicated me. The rest of our party was feeling no pain either; Cindi had just as many Cosmos and the boys decided to drink their vodka on the rocks. Yikes.
I got up from the table to use the restroom and boy did it hit me hard. I can't remember the last time that I had trouble walking after drinking, but this was certainly one of them. And the fun was only beginning....
I had been mouthing off all weekend (JOKING, I might add here) about visiting one of San Francisco's most unique nightclubs, catch my drift?... well someone in our party got the bright idea to actually try to visit this place, where for the most part participation is encouraged and, per rule #7. You cannot laugh. OK, I am so screwed. Literally. I will save you the details, but we escaped unscathed and I, of course being as drunk as I was, missed all of the good stuff. All I could see was my new sneakers glowing in the blacklight and the six hundred signs posted on 8 1/2 x 11 paper that said NO CELL PHONES. Apparently Sunday is not a good night at the Power Exchange, but the next time you're in San Francisco on a Saturday night, please go and tell me all about it!
After the cab ride home (Thanks Mr. Cab Guy for sticking around and saving us!!!) I almost tossed my cookies in the elevator, but thankfully made it to our room. You know you have a great friend when their hold your hair off you face while you throw up, so thank you, Cindi!
I woke up Monday with the absolute worst headache ever (duh! Saw that coming, huh?), but I finally dragged myself out of bed at 11 a.m. CA time (2 p.m. FL time). We trekked to Ghiradelli Square and then on to Haight/Ashbury, where Kevin wanted to see Jerry Garcia's house. We came back for lunch on Fisherman's Wharf... everywhere I looked I saw c-r-a-b... not a good thing for me on that day, but I'm happy to say I survived without another incident.
We all took a late nap and Jason and I had dinner at a nice Mexican restaurant at the Cannery. We left the next morning for the airport and got home Tuesday night. It was quite a fun adventure indeed. But I am glad to say that I am home now. Phew.

0 comments: